Contract worker dead after electrocution at Southcentre Mall

EMS say a man is dead following reports of an electrocution at Southcentre Mall in southeast Calgary. 

Calgary police and EMS confirmed they were called to the scene around 12:40 p.m. Wednesday.

A Southcentre spokesperson said the man was an employee of a contractor.

“Everyone who works at Southcentre is a part of a committed community, and our staff are deeply impacted by what occurred. Our thoughts are with the individual’s family,” the spokesperson said. 

Security guards remove caution tape from an area of Southcentre Mall on Wednesday. (Dave Gilson/CBC)

EMS pronounced the man dead and did not take him to hospital. 

A police spokesperson said officers were on scene in a supportive role but the incident doesn’t appear criminal. 

An Enmax spokesperson said the incident did not involve the company’s equipment or team members.

Enmax staff temporarily disabled power to the mall to enable a safe investigation.  

An Alberta Occupational Health and Safety spokesperson said the organization has been notified and is investigating. 

Southcentre said it was closed for the remainder of the day to support authorities as they continued to investigate.

National Day for Truth and Reconciliation events set to take place at the mall on Thursday have been postponed. 

View original article here Source