Canada News

Get the latest new in Candada

Calgary

Crown stays sexual assault charge against former Calgary bar owner

A former Calgary bar owner accused of sexually assaulting an employee saw a charge stayed by the Crown on Tuesday.

Grant Lee Cichacki was first charged by police in October 2023.

Police alleged that Cichacki had attended a social function in downtown Calgary with an employee on Dec. 27, 2022.

Police alleged the woman had been “transported to a downtown residence where she reportedly lost consciousness,” and they said at the time it was believed she “was subjected to unwanted, non-consensual sexual acts.”

On the second day of the trial, Crown prosecutor Tara Wells determined she wouldn’t argue for a conviction, directing a stay of proceedings.

“It’s exemplary conduct by the Crown to weigh the evidence before we get into real argument, and to say that this is not a case where the Crown would be seeking a conviction,” defence counsel Alain Hepner told CBC News on Wednesday.

Hepner said Cichacki was relieved with the outcome of the trial.

Cichacki still faces six other sexual assault charges and is set to have a second trial begin in March 2025, according to Hepner.

View original article here Source