Canada News

Get the latest new in Candada

Calgary

Man killed after 30-hour armed standoff with Calgary police identified

The armed standoff in southeast Calgary that started Thursday afternoon, when shots were fired at officers trying to execute a search warrant, ended in gunfire Friday evening.

The situation “escalated” around 8:30 p.m. local time Friday, according to police, forcing members of the Calgary tactical unit and RCMP emergency response team to fire their weapons.

One man was killed, police say. That man has been identified as Patrick Kimmel, according to police sources.

Mug shot of man.
The man shot by police after a 30-hour armed standoff has been identified as Patrick Kimmel, according to police sources. (Drumheller RCMP)

“The actions of one individual, with a history of weapons offences, put our community and our officers at substantial risk of harm,” said Chief Mark Neufeld in a news release.

During a news conference early Saturday morning, Neufeld described the standoff as “tremendously dynamic” and said it involved intermittent negotiations with the individual for more than 30 hours.

On Thursday, police reported that shots were fired in the direction of tactical unit officers at a residence in Penbrooke Meadows, in the 300 block of Penswood Way S.E., at 3:30 p.m. during an ongoing firearms investigation.

“Several uninvolved people were safely removed from the residence and officers spoke with the suspect, requesting he peacefully surrender,” said police. 

“Approximately 10 minutes later, the suspect began firing a gun from within the home at officers.”

In a statement released early Saturday morning, police said they estimated that more than 100 rounds of ammunition were fired over the course of the standoff.

WATCH | Calgary’s police chief holds news conference early Saturday morning:


“We are extremely thankful no officers or bystanders were injured as a result,” the statement said.

Memorial Drive — a busy thoroughfare in Calgary — was shut down between 52nd Street S.E. and 68th Street S.E. until the incident was resolved.

Residents of the Penbrooke area had been asked to shelter in place, but police posted addresses where a return is now permitted.

Anyone who had been unable to access their home because of this incident had been asked to find alternative accommodations, and could call 403-266-1234 if in need of assistance.

READ | The list of addresses allowed to return home: 

In a Friday morning post to X, formerly known as Twitter, Neufeld said Alberta RCMP were assisting city police.

The Calgary Emergency Management Agency opened an information centre at the Village Square Leisure Centre at 2623 56th Street N.E. The centre offered snacks, water, showers, phone charging, emotional health support and additional information as it became available.

In a news release issued just before 8 p.m. Friday, police apologized to residents for the inconvenience and sense of fear caused by the situation.

“Although we understand the fear, uncertainty and frustration this has caused, these measures are necessary to protect the public,” the statement said.

“We recognize this event has impacted the sense of safety for not only residents of Penbrooke Meadows, but also for Calgarians across the city. There have been ongoing disruptions with continued road closures and access to homes and businesses, and we apologize for the inconvenience.”

A Calgary police officer guards a gate on a fence line near the standoff.
Police say some residents returning home may find their homes and property damaged, and are asking those affected to call the CPS non-emergency line at 403-266-1234. (CBC)

The Alberta Serious Incident Response Team (ASIRT) will now investigate the circumstances surrounding the officer-involved shooting. Since ASIRT has taken over the investigation, CPS says they will not be releasing any further information

Anyone needing support can call the Calgary police victim assistance team at 403-428-8398, or toll-free at 1-888-327-7828.

View original article here Source