Two more homeless encampments were cleared on Tuesday as Edmonton officials aim to shut down all eight “high-risk” encampments that were the subject of an injunction last month by Wednesday afternoon.
Tents were removed from Dawson Park and Kinnaird Ravine Tuesday morning, days after the first two encampments were removed.
“It’s very sad and depressing to see somebody essentially packing up their entire life and trying to consolidate that into something so small,” Jordan Morgan, a volunteer with Water Warriors, told CTV News Edmonton at one of the encampments.
Police officers and city officials told residents they had a couple of hours to leave when they began to clean up, said Bradley Lafortune, Public Interest Alberta’s executive director.
“To me, this is social violence,” Lafortune said.
“We’re hearing that people don’t want to go to the shelter spaces in this city…There’s a lot of folks who say they don’t feel safe there. It’s not culturally appropriate. And beyond that, there’s a lot of cases of assault. There’s a lot of bedbugs. There’s lice, there’s a lot of basically, you know, unhealthy living situations in shelters.”
Catlin Watson, a resident of one of the two camps cleared on Tuesday, doesn’t know where he’ll go yet.
Despite that, he said officials had been fair with him and that he had no complaints.
“It doesn’t really matter that we have to move. It’s just a matter of expressing your gratitude; having people help clean up our mess is a real privilege,” Watson said.
The last four high-risk encampments are scheduled to be shut down on Wednesday, the Edmonton Coalition on Housing and Homelessness told CTV News Edmonton.
Edmonton has more than 1,400 shelter spaces and about 300 more are coming in the near future, a provincial spokesperson said in a statement.
CTV News Edmonton reached out to the city about the dismantling of the latest two encampments.
With files from CTV News Edmonton’s Marek Tkach
View original article here Source