City council votes to create business plan for downtown Edmonton safety initiative

On the same day Edmonton’s mayor met with Premier Jason Kenney and Justice Minister Tyler Shandro about the issue, city council voted in favour of next steps being taken on an initiative aimed at improving safety in the downtown core.

Councillors voted unanimously in favour of asking city administrators and the Edmonton Police Commission to put together a business plan for an initiative dubbed the Healthy Streets Operation Centre.

READ MORE: Edmonton amends transit conduct bylaw to address ‘immediate’ safety, criminal, gang concerns

The centre would serve as a hub for various services in the Chinatown area, where many social agencies are located.

Coun. Tim Cartmell put forward the motion that was voted on Monday.

“I think we’ll find just what the right resource is to react to problems and concerns that people see in the moment, whether that’s an addiction counsellor or mental health worker or a fire rescue service person or a paramedic,” he said. “What is it that we need more of — most of — in the moment.

Story continues below advertisement

“This is an opportunity to essentially pilot that and learn from that.”

City administration is now tasked with determining how much such a centre would cost to run.

READ MORE: Officers did not interact with Chinatown deaths suspect as previously reported: Edmonton police

It’s the latest development in the city’s attempt to address safety concerns in the heart of Edmonton, an issue that was thrust into the spotlight after the killings of two men in Chinatown last month.

Click to play video: 'City of Edmonton releases public safety plan including provincial funding requests' City of Edmonton releases public safety plan including provincial funding requests

City of Edmonton releases public safety plan including provincial funding requests – Jun 9, 2022

In late May, Shandro ordered Mayor Amarjeet Sohi to present him with a plan on how the city plans to address the issue of crime and disorder. Details of that plan were released on June 9.

READ MORE: Edmonton releases public safety plan requested by Shandro; pushes province for support

Sohi said his meeting with Shandro, Kenney and Labour and Immigration Minister Kaycee Madu on Monday was lengthy and productive. The province’s director of law enforcement also provided an overview of Alberta’s response to Edmonton’s plan, however, officials said that overview would not be shared publicly as a dialogue between the province and city aimed at refining it remains ongoing.

Story continues below advertisement

In a statement issued by the provincial government Monday, the province also described the meeting as “productive.”

“Mayor Sohi provided an overview of the City of Edmonton’s requests for social supports,” the statement reads. “They include the implementation of minimum shelter standards, equitable funding for shelter capacity and to support local plans to end houselessness, and the co-ordination of a release plan for vulnerable persons and supports to tackle the drug-poisoning crisis.

READ MORE: Edmonton community leaders react to city’s safety plan

“Both parties have committed to discussing these matters further.”

“We spent almost an hour-and-a-half today… to talk about their review of our safety plan,” Sohi said.

“There’s a desire for the province and the city to work together towards a shared goal of building safer communities.”

–With files from Morgan Black, Global News

© 2022 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

View original article here Source