Edmonton zoo employee taken to hospital after bite from non-venomous snake

An employee at Edmonton Valley Zoo was taken to hospital Tuesday morning after she was bit by a non-venomous Burmese python, according to the city.

The city said her fellow employees performed first aid and called an ambulance right away. Following the bite, the employee was in stable, non-life-threatening condition, according to Alberta Health Services (AHS) EMS.

“The employee was taken to hospital for medical observation and is doing well,” said Debi Winwood, a communications advisor at the zoo.

Lucy the Burmese python at Edmonton Valley Zoo. City of Edmonton

Read more: Edmonton Valley Zoo hopes to get funding from new city budget to avoid any animal exhibit closures

Story continues below advertisement

All reptiles at the zoo are non-venomous, Winwood said, adding the python will remain viewable to the public in her secured enclosure as the incident is investigated.

Winwood said the female python, named Lucy, has been at the zoo for seven years and has never been aggressive before.

Lucy is 3.6 metres long, 15 years old and was donated to the zoo by Alberta Fish and Wildlife, she said.

Click to play video: 'Edmonton zoo opens new habitat for endangered tigers'

Edmonton zoo opens new habitat for endangered tigers

&© 2023 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

View original article here Source