Ontario is reporting a 20 per cent week-over-week decline in COVID-19 hospitalizations as most public health indicators continue to improve heading into the summer.
The Ministry of Health says that there are now just 536 people with COVID-19 in Ontario hospitals, down from 669 at this time last week and 948 two weeks ago.
Of those people, 110 are receiving treatment in intensive care, including 73 individuals who are breathing with the assistance of a ventilator.
It is the lowest number of COVID-19 patients on mechanical ventilators since November, 2020.
The latest data comes as Ontario’s Chief Medical Officer of Health. Dr. Kieran Moore tells CP24 that he expects it to be a “wonderful summer” for the province following more than two years of pandemic restrictions.
The province is also expected to repeal the mask mandate in most high-risk settings at midnight, including on public transit.
“We’re in a safer position that we’ve been and Ontarians continue to adhere to all the best practices. So 10,000 patients a day continue to come forward to stay up to date with their vaccinations, even today,” Moore said. “I have to thank all Ontarians because we’re only in this position because Ontarians have accepted treatments. They have accepted vaccination and they have accepted masking where necessary and I think we are now at a time heading into the summer where we can remove the mandatory nature of masking and Ontarians will remain cautious and careful as we head into the fall.”
Ontario added an additional 10 deaths to its COVID-19 tally on Friday. Since the onset of the pandemic in March 2020, a total of 13,324 Ontarians have died as a result of COVID-19.
View original article here Source