Corey Hurren sentenced to 6 years in prison for breaching Rideau Hall gates while armed

A judge has sentenced Corey Hurren — who stormed the gates of Rideau Hall last summer with loaded firearms and multiple rounds of ammunition — to six years in prison, minus a year served.

Justice Robert Wadden delivered his decision this afternoon.

“This was an armed aggression against the government which must be denounced in the strongest terms,” he told the court over a Zoom link.

“Corey Hurren committed a politically motivated, armed assault intended to intimidate Canada’s elected government.”

Hurren, a 46-year-old Canadian Armed Forces reservist, pleaded guilty earlier this month to seven weapons-related charges, including possessing guns for “a purpose dangerous to the public peace.”

He also pleaded guilty to one charge of mischief for wilfully causing $100,000 worth of damage to the Rideau Hall gate on July 2.

Image from the Facebook page of Corey Hurren. Earlier this month, the Canadian Ranger pleaded guilty to seven weapons-related charges, including possessing guns for “a purpose dangerous to the public peace.” (GrindHouse Fine Foods/Facebook)

According to the agreed statement of facts read out in the courtroom after Hurren’s plea last month, he wanted to arrest Prime Minister Justin Trudeau over the federal government’s COVID-19 restrictions and its ban on assault-style firearms.

He told officers that day that he wanted to make a statement to the prime minister by showing up during one of his daily media briefings. He said he hoped his actions would be a “wake-up call” and a “turning point.”

Wadden said Hurren’s actions amounted to an act of “armed aggression” against the government. He also said the Manitoba resident showed no remorse and hasn’t renounced his conspiracy theories. 

Hurren will also be banned from possessing any firearms, ammunition or explosive substances for life.

Wadden’s decision aligns with the Crown’s request for a six-year prison sentence, minus time served, and a lifetime firearm ban. The Crown argued Hurren’s actions posed a serious threat to public safety.

Hurren’s lawyer Michael Davies was seeking a sentence of three years, less a year for his pre-trial custody.

He said his client made a series of bad decisions but ultimately put his guns down.

View original article here Source