Manitoba announces one new death, 63 new cases of COVID-19

WINNIPEG — Health officials in Manitoba have announced one new death linked to COVID-19 on Monday.

The death was a woman in her 80s from the Northern Health Region. She was not connected to any outbreaks.

Dr. Brent Roussin, the chief provincial public health officer, said a previously announced death from December 29, 2020, was removed due to a data correction, meaning the death toll sits at 907.

Manitoba also added 63 new cases, pushing the total to 32,288 since March 2020.

Of the new cases, the Northern Health Region had 36, Winnipeg had 25 and the Southern Health Region had two.

Both the Prairie Mountain Health Region and the Interlake-Eastern Health Region had zero cases.

The five-day test positivity rate is 3.5 per cent in Manitoba and 2.4 per cent in Winnipeg.

Roussin also mentioned on Monday that the vaccine eligibility has also been expanded and now people 80 or older can get the shot, while First Nation people 60 or older can receive the vaccine.

“The province recognizes that spouses or other household members may become eligible at the same time, so individuals can now make an appointment for more than one person at a time, so long as all the individuals are currently eligible,” said Roussin.

Manitoba currently has 1,145 active cases, and 30,236 people have recovered.

There are 54 people in hospital who have COVID-19, with 10 of those people in intensive care.

Another 110 people no longer have active COVID-19, but still require care, 12 of those people are in ICU.

On Sunday, 1,390 tests were completed and there have been 538,759 total tests since February 2020.

This is a developing story. More details to come.

View original article here Source