No charges for Winnipeg police officer who fatally shot man five times: police watchdog

WINNIPEG –

Manitoba’s police watchdog says there are no grounds for charges against a Winnipeg police officer who fatally shot a man five times while responding to a report of an assault last spring.

On Thursday, The Independent Investigation Unit of Manitoba (IIU) released its final report into the fatal police shooting of a man in the Maples neighbourhood in the early morning hours of April 18, 2020.

The IIU said police had been called to the area of Adsum Drive shortly after 4:00 a.m. for a report that a man had been assaulted by two people while throwing out his garbage.

Winnipeg police told the IIU when officers arrived in the area they confronted two people – a man and a youth.

The IIU investigation found during the confrontation, one of the responding officers shot the man, who was carrying a gun, five times. The post-mortem report concluded the man’s death was the result of five gunshot wounds.

The IIU said the investigation into the shooting included an expert opinion on the use of force that said the subject officer, “used an appropriate intervention in consideration of the totality of the circumstances before him. The force utilized was not in excess of that which was necessary.”

The IIU said while the officer refused to attend an interview with IIU investigators, they did provide notes and a prepared statement to the IIU.

The IIU said the Manitoba Prosecution Service reviewed the investigation, and said it was not satisfied that there is a reasonable likelihood of conviction. The IIU said, therefore, there are no grounds to justify any charges against the officer.

This is a developing story. More to come.

You can read the full report here: 

View original article here Source